Cos. Tyrone, Donegal, Londonderry & Fermanagh Ireland Genealogy Research

Official Website of the CoTyroneIreland.com Mailing List

 

Tullyfern Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland in 1837
Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland

Transcribed, Compiled and Submitted by
Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia
len_swindley[at]hotmail.com

TULLY, or TULLAFERNE, a parish, in the barony of KILMACRENAN, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER; containing, with part of the post-town of Ramelton, 6,096 inhabitants. It is situated on a branch of Lough Swilly, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 16,612 statute acres, of which 383 are water, and 14,908 are applotted under the tithe act and valued at £4,585 per annum. There is a considerable portion of bog, also part of a lake, upwards of a mile in length, called Lough Feme: about 100 acres of land have been lately reclaimed from the sea at Mulroy bay; this bay admits the approach of vessels to within half a mile of the village of Milford. Several of the inhabitants are employed in linen-weaving at their own houses. The gentlemen’s seats are Glenalla, the residence of the Rev. G. V. Hart; Clara, of Jas. Watt, Esq.; and Ballyare, of John Cochrane, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Raphoe, and is a rectory, forming part of the union of Aughnish, or Tullyaughnish: the tithes amount to £590.12.8.; and there is a glebe, comprising 512 Cunningham acres, valued at £256 per annum. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Killygarvan, by which name the district is also called: each parish contains a chapel. There are two meeting-houses for Covenanters and one for Presbyterians. At Milford is a school on the foundation of Erasmus Smith, in which, and in two other public schools, about 260 children are educated; and about 290 children are taught in six private schools; there are also five Sunday schools.