Cos. Tyrone, Donegal, Londonderry & Fermanagh Ireland Genealogy Research

Official Website of the Mailing List


Derrybrusk Parish, Co. Fermanagh, Northern Ireland in 1837
Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland

Transcribed, Compiled and Submitted by
Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia

DERRYBRUSK, a parish, partly in the barony of MAGHERASTEPHENA, but chiefly in that of TYRKENNEDY, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (N. E.) from Enniskillen; containing 1,329 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 4,656¼ statute acres, of which 4,372¼ are in the barony of Tyrkennedy; 241½ are water, and 2,298 are applotted under the tithe act. Adjoining Lough Erne a monastery for Dominican friars was founded, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, by Mac Manus, lord of the place, of which there are still some remains, also traces of the village of Gola, in which it was situated. Derrybrusk House is the seat of J. Deering, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £77. 10. 9¼.; the glebe comprises 40 acres. There has. been no church from time immemorial in this parish; the Protestant inhabitants of the central and southern portions attend the churches of the neighbouring parishes, and divine service is performed in a school-house once on the first Sunday in every month. There is a school at Ballyreague, in which are about 50 children.