TITHE APPLOTMENT BOOKS 1823 - 1837
Tithe was a tax on all agricultural land (originally one tenth of the produce) excepting only church lands, glebes and urban areas and was paid by leaseholders and occupiers of all religious denominations to the clergy of the Established Church of Ireland. There was growing resentment against this tax, especially by Presbyterians and Catholics, particularly in the period of distress after 1815 and the government was forced to give way and introduce the Tithe Composition Act 1823 which replaced payment in kind by payment in cash.
In order to effect this change, all agricultural land across the country was required to be surveyed and applotted, or valued. During the period 1823 to 1837, a Tithe Applotment Survey was made in each civil parish across the whole of Ireland to determine the value of tithe payable by different landholders. Two people were appointed by each parish to carry out this assessment. The material was arranged by civil parish and townland in volumes known as TITHE APPLOTMENT BOOKS.
In some parishes more than one survey was taken, whilst in others the manuscript has not survived. The books for all Ireland, compiled between 1823 and 1837, are now deposited in the National Archives of Ireland, Dublin and Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI).
PRONI holds the tithe books for all but 31 of the 273 parishes then surveyed in Northern Ireland. These tithe books are arranged by townland and record the names of leaseholders, the area of their farm subject to tithe, sometimes the quality of the land and an overall valuation and occasionally the names of landlords. Researchers should be aware that cottiers who did not hold land are not recorded, and unaccountably, some types of land were passed over entirely; a field of potatoes attracted a tithe payment in one parish, but not in that adjoining.
Those researchers who are fortunate to locate a forebear in the Tithe Applotment Books may find it possible to take their research back a further generation prior to Griffiths Valuation.
INDEX TO TITHE APPLOTMENT BOOKS, CO. TYRONE
1820s - 1830s>
|Aghaloo 1825||COMPLETE||Aghalurcher 1833||This parish lies mostly within Co. Fermanagh. ONLY Co. Tyrone townlands transcribed.|
|Ardboe 1826||COMPLETE||Ardstraw 1833
Gallon (Three townlands and their subdenominations) 1834
|Artrea 1825||COMPLETE||Ballinderry 1828||COMPLETE - includes townlands in Co. Londonderry|
|Ballyclog 1826||COMPLETE||Bodoney Lower 1830||COMPLETE|
|Bodoney Upper 1825-26||COMPLETE||Camus-juxta-Mourne (Strabane) 1827||COMPLETE|
|Cappagh 1827||COMPLETE||Carnteel 1827||COMPLETE|
|Clogher 1829||COMPLETE||Clogherny 1826||COMPLETE|
|Clonfeacle 1833||COMPLETE||Clonoe 1827||COMPLETE|
|Derryloran 1826 - A to L
Derryloran 1826 - M to Z
|COMPLETE||Desertcreat 1825 - Selected townlands with acreages||Townlands transcribed are: Anaghs, Annaghavill, Annaghquinn, Ballinacroy, Ballymenagh, Dowas, Drumran, Glassy, Gorticar, Killycollop, Lagacurry & Lamy.|
|Donacavey 1827||COMPLETE||Donagheady 1833-4||Tithe applotment book has not survived – partial list of tithe-payers has been transcribed|
|Donaghmore 1825||Townlands transcribed are: Annaginny, Ballybray, Creevagh, Garvagh, Gortnaglush, Killylevan, Lower Feroy & Mullaghroddan||Dromore - 1834||COMPLETE|
|Drumglass 1832||COMPLETE||Drumragh 1834||COMPLETE|
|Errigal Keerogue 1832
Errigal Keerogue 1833
|COMPLETE||Errigal Trough 1826||COMPLETE|
|Kildress 1826||COMPLETE||Killeeshil 1829||COMPLETE|
|Killyman 1825||COMPLETE||Kilskeery 1826||COMPLETE|
|Learmount See Note Bottom of Page||COMPLETE||Leckpatrick 1827||COMPLETE|
|Longfield West 1826||COMPLETE||Magheracross 1829||This parish lies almost entirely in Co. Fermanagh. Neither of the two townlands in Co. Tyrone were subject to tithes.|
|Pomeroy 1829||COMPLETE||Tamlaght 1827||Tamlaght Parish straddles the Tyrone-Londonderry county boundary with townlands located within both counties.|
|Termonamongan 1828||COMPLETE||Termonmaguirk 1825||COMPLETE|
|Tullyniskan 1826||COMPLETE||Urney 1827||COMPLETE|
Learmount parish is a relatively modern creation being carved out of Cumber Upper & Lower and Banagher parishes as a Perpetual Curacy in 1831 and constituted a separate parish in 1847. Learmount lies almost entirely within Co. Londonderry with just a single townland, Stranalgalwilly, lying in north Co. Tyrone, contiguous with Donagheady parish