Monreagh School is conducted under the auspices of the Presbyterian Church. The former school building was replaced with a new school in September 2011.
Sept 17 1856 (Londonderry Journal)
Premiums awarded to Mr. Henry Allen, teacher, Monreagh National School and Mr. J. Henderson of Strabane
April 5 1892 (Londonderry Sentinel)
Address and Presentation to Mr. Henry Allen, principal teacher, Monreagh National School upon his retirement.
School board members and residents named: Mrs. Allen; Mr. W. J. Baird; Mr. S. Motherwell, J. P., Castleforward; Dr. Rankin, Rev. E. McMordie, Monreagh; Mr. Thomas Elder, Carrigans; and Mr. W. F. MacIlwaine, Dunmore
Signed by: S. Motherwell, J. P., Chairman; W. J. Baird; James Boyd; Robert McCrabb; R. J. Parke & Wm. Rankin, M. D., Sec. and Treas.
September 16 1903 (Derry Journal)
DEATH OF MR HENRY ALLEN, GARSHUEY Very many of your readers will learn with much regret of the death of Mr. Henry Allen, retired National School teacher, at Garshuey, as recorded in your obituary column to-day. The sad event occurred on Monday morning at his residence, after a brief illness, during which he was nursed by his wife and daughter, his sister, Mrs. McCready, Desertmartin [Co. Londonderry], and his sister-in-law, Mrs. Henry Rutherford, Garshuey. The late Mr. Allen was a native of Tobbermore, county Derry, and conducted a school there at a place named Killynumber [Kilcronaghan parish], coming to county Donegal in the year 1853, at the instance of the late Rev. Andrew Long, minister of Monreagh Presbyterian Church, who had just gathered together the nucleus of National school at the place of which Mr. Allen afterwards became the first teacher. Under his tuition, the school grew and flourished, scholars attending from the neighbouring villages of Carrigans and St. Johnston and the country about. Very important walks of life at home and abroad and include clergymen, doctors, magistrates, solicitors, teachers, commercial men and all the principal farmers of the locality. Mr. Allen taught school in Monreagh under no less than five managers – Andrew Long, James Latimer, Wm. Thompson, Hugh Cairns, and Eligah (sic) McMordie – successive ministers of the Presbyterian church, and fulfilling his duties as secular instructor with conspicuous ability and conscientious dedication. Mr. Allen retired on a well-earned pension in the year 1892, since which time he has lived quietly in comparative seclusion at Garshuey, near Londonderry, surrounded by his family and friends, The sympathy of the community will go out the his wife and daughter and other relatives, and to his two sons, John and Henry, who are at business in Londonderry. As will be seen the interment takes place to-day in Monreagh, the funeral cortege leaving Garshuey at eleven o’clock – Correspondent (Derry Journal)