Ballygowan is a townland of some 424 acres in the parish of Drumragh in Co Tyrone. It is located south-west of Omagh on the main road to Irvinestown:
In 1851 the whole townland was in the possession of Lady Charlotte Burgoyne (ors. Head)[means maiden name] - she was the widow of Sir John James Burgoyne and his second wife. Sir John James Burgoyne died on 23 May 1838 in his 58th year after a short illness at his seat Strabane. He had been agent of the Abercorn estate and provost of Strabane.
The Land was put up for sale through the recently established Encumbered estates court.
The Burgoyne tenants in Ballygowan were only tenants from year to year and had less security than those tenants who held terminable leases or perpetuity leases:
For the record the list of tenants in Ballygowan (also given as Ballygowans because there was an upper portion and also a nether portion) was as follows -
BALLYGOWAN TENANTS RECORDED IN 1851
It is interesting to look at the 1834 Drumragh Parish Tithe Applotment Book and c1860 Griffiths Valuation to determination changes in tenancies and leaseholds:
BALLYGOWAN TENANTS RECORDED IN DRUMRAGH PARISH TITHE APPLOTMENT BOOK 1834
|Sir John Burgoyne|
|Rev. Mr. McCaffrey|
BALLYGOWAN TENANTS RECORDED IN GRIFFITHS VALUATION c1860