Burt Presbyterian congregation has its origins with the ordination of Mr. William Hampton in 1673. He was followed by Mr. Andrew Ferguson who was ordained in Burt in 1690. In 1724 Mr. Ferguson became infirm and his son, Andrew, junr., was ordained as his assistant and successor on 16 Feb. 1725. Another son, John was a founding member of the first American Presbytery in Philadelphia in 1705.
The following are the names of the men who attended the meetings of the Laggan Presbytery between the years 1672 and 1700, as ruling elders or as commissioners. They were doubtless the leading men in the districts in which they lived, and their names deserve to be held in remembrance on account of the part which they took in laying the foundations of Presbyterianism in the Laggan, and for the services which they so cheerfully rendered, without fee or reward, amid much persecution and many difficulties, in maintaining a preached gospel in troublous times. In all of these congregations there are still to be found families bearing their honoured names, and in many cases they are, no doubt, the descendants of these good men – a fact they have no reason to be ashamed, but good reason to be proud of.