James Latimore, Westmoreland Co., PA - 1927
West Newton Times-Sun -- July 21, 1927
Old Resident Laid to Rest -- James Latimore was born April 25, 1847, in Castle Canfield [sic: Castlecaulfield], County Tyrone, Ireland, a son of John and Mary Ann Armstrong Latimore. He came to America in 1865, locating at Armstrong, Sewickley township. Later, he removed to a country home near Suterville and afterwards located in West Newton. He was married to Miss Lizzie Blackburn of Sewickley township, February 2, 1870. To this union were born five children, two of whom survive, Dr. W. J. Latimore of Herminie and Mrs. Fred Pippert of West Newton. There are also seven grandchildren and a sister, Mrs. Letitia Latimer, of Pittsburgh, surviving. This union was dissolved by the death of Mrs. Latimore August 1, 1882. On October 1888, he was united in marriage to Laura J. Douglass of West Newton, who survives.
Upon arriving in America, Mr. Latimore was engaged in the coal mining industry. Some time after, the Yough Slope Gas Coal company was organized, of which he was a member. This company was afterwards absorbed by the Pittsburgh Coal Company. Mr. Latimore was always interested in civic affairs and served two terms as councilman in West Newton borough. In early youth Mr. Latimore united with the Presbyterian church. Upon coming to America he became a member of the United Presbyterian church of Buena Vista, and upon his removal to West Newton he joined the United Presbyterian church of this place retaining his membership until the time of his death, being an elder for forty-four years. During the last twenty-five years of his life Mr. Latimore was a semi-invalid, showing remarkable fortitude during all these years. He died at 1:30 a.m. Thursday, July 14, at his home on the West Side. The funeral services were held at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, July 16, conducted by Rev. Thos. McKee, who was assisted by Rev. Noah Fehl.